January 26, 2013
73 yr old Grandma Shellie still kicking it up a notch.
Since 2007, I’ve had many, many challenges that have changed the course of my life and my career, from financial challenges to health challenges, that otherwise would have caused another person to give up, quit and let go of her dreams and goals.
I am blessed to say that I will never give up. I will never quit. I will never throw in the towel, no matter how many obstacles show up on my path. They are there for a reason, a reason I may not see at the moment. Though, I will see it later down the road. I know I’m being tested because bigger and better things are on its way to me.I will always seek solutions to the challenges I face, one at a time, because I know we are all on a spiritual path to be, do and have all that we deserve. I am so grateful that I can muster up the strength to trust my intuition, pray, meditate, shake myself off and get back on a different track.
That period of reflection was a very powerful chapter in my life . It’s passed and I passed through it with flying colors. I am very grateful that I experienced it. I am now more feisty than ever, more courageous, more adventurous and once again, I do believe I am ageless – that I could do, be and have anything I want regardless of my age. I reached a point where I don’t care what others think of my choices. It’s my life and I have to follow the beat of my own drummer.
My 70th birthday was a powerful one for me and brought up many fears and doubts, as I looked into my future. I looked 10 years ahead and freaked out, realizing that I’d be 80 years old. “OMG! That’s really old”, I said “and I may die soon”. I struggled for 6 months trying to sort out my fears, my terror, almost a paralysis and whatever else I was feeling. I sorted through the, “why was I feeling these emotions” and eventually reached the place where I could ask myself, “how can I turn it into something positive for myself and others who might be going through it as well.?”
What helped me get through the short negative period, was searching for women, in their 80’s, 90’s and beyond, who had made a difference in their lives well past their 70’s. These women became my role models, my inspiration to keep on keepin’ on.
Yes, there would always be women, whose retirement years would be lived in a nursing home, in a wheel chair or with Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s, etc. And thankfully, there would always be women like myself and Maya Angelou, Estee Lauder, Gloria Swanson, Grandma Moses, Kathryn Hepburn and more, who would continue to be vital, beautiful, creative, productive women in society, well into their 80s and 90s.
Once again, I believe I am unstoppable with an enormous future ahead of me, filled with fun, adventure, a great relationship with my soulmate and many accomplishments. I celebrate each day by doing something special for myself. I don’t wait for a birthday to celebrate. Today is the most important day of my life and I try to appreciate that fact.
When we”re depressed, we tend to look at everything through negative lenses and we tend to wallow in our losses.
- I am no longer married to my best friend
- Parts of my body are slowly moving closer to the ground
- I’m not in a relationship today and wonder if I will ever be in a relationship again?
- I have to work harder to maintain muscle tone and skin texture
- I use reading glasses
- I no longer own my own home
- Many of my friends and family have passed or moved away
- I have a few more senior moments
- I misplace my keys more often
- I do not have the financial security I once had
My PERSPECTIVE on the loss of my friends and family members is that I am grateful they were in my life and for the wonderful moments we shared together.
My PERSPECTIVE on all the other stuff is, SO WHAT!! I can re-create it all if I want to, even my sagging skin.
I could focus on the ‘what if’s’, ‘poor me’ or I can focus on the ‘wow’, ‘what’s next’. I have to ask myself often, “Which thoughts feel better and which thoughts are more supportive?”
I am extremely grateful that I continue to be youthful and energetic, healthy, on no meds, no major surgery and no medical conditions.
I realize that my 70th birthday was an epiphany, a life changing event that I had to go through to reach the other end. The other wonderful end.
- THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT TELLING THE TRUTH TO YOURSELF IS THAT YOU NOW HAVE THE OPTION TO CHANGE.
- BEING SURROUNDED BY LIKE-MINDED PEOPLE WITH SIMILAR CONSCIOUSNESS SUPPORTS US IN RECOGNIZING WE HAVE A CHOICE AND WE CAN CHANGE
- WE CAN’T CHANGE THE AGING PROCESS, BUT WE CAN CHANGE HOW WE PERCEIVE IT AND WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS.
- TODAY IS THE DAY YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE
TODAY IS THE DAY I CHANGED MY PERSPECTIVE ABOUT MY LIFE
- WHAT CAN I DO TO STAY HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PASSIONATE FROM THIS DAY FORWARD?
- WHAT ADVENTURES AND DREAMS HAVE I SET ASIDE THAT I AM READY TO FULFILL ?
- WHAT DO I WANT TO DO THAT I HAVEN’T DONE YET?
RE-ESTABLISHING OUR HEALTH GOALS:
- Take vitamin/mineral supplements/herbs
- Eat at least 10 fruits/veggies per day, local, organic preferably
- Avoid ‘fat-free’ foods loaded with sugar
- Cut down on foods containing white sugar, white flour
- Eat more whole grains
- Move your body. Park your car far from your destination and walk. Join a gym. Take a dance class. Walk around the supermarket a few extra laps. Take the stairs not the escalator or elevator. Walk 10,000 steps/day
- Have massages, at least once/month or more often
- Have a chiropractic adjustment every few months as a preventive measure
- Make new friends and visit long time friends either by phone or in person
- Challenge your brain. Learn new skills.
- Sleep 8hrs or more
- Drink 6-10 glasses of filtered water /day
- Listen to more music and reduce TV watching
- Laugh more often. Watch funny movies, learn new jokes
- Take The Landmark Forum or if you’re a graduate, sign up for a seminar
- Get involved in a spiritual group
- Dance! Dance! Dance!
- Take a Belly Dancing Class
- Sign up for a cooking class and meet and eat with new friends
YOUR BUCKET LIST:
- Make a list of adventures you’d like to experience
- Make a list of places you’d like to visit
- Make a list of fun things you used to do that you’re ready to do again
- Make a list of people you want to meet or visit
MAKE A VISION BOARD OR TREASURE MAP
- Cut out pictures from magazines that reflect your new goals, dreams, people, places, things you want to do, be or have
- Use a poster board, cork board or photo album and look at it every night before bed and morning upon awakening
There is so much we can do to re-create our lives, to live life fully, passionately and savor every moment. You don’t have to do it alone. Sometimes it’s so overwhelming, you may want to quit. Get support! Join a club, have a prayer partner or call me.
IF YOU NEED SUPPORT IN SETTING YOUR GOALS, ENCOURAGEMENT OR COACHING
INTERESTED IN IMPROVING OR CREATING YOUR OWN SUCCESSFUL HEALTH & FITNESS BUSINESS?
I AM NOW AVAILABLE FOR COACHING BY PHONE, EMAIL AND/OR INTERNET-
(9am-8pm,daylight savings time, NY)
FOR YOUR FREE 10 minute CONSULTATION
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON ZUMBA CLOTHES AND GOLD DVDs: